4.9.07

Arrival and so forth

So unfortunately this was the first time I have gotten a solid internet connection since I have gotten here. But despite all that, Russia is amazing.

First things first. The host family and the apartment. St. Petersburg is a big place, about 4.5 million people. Thus everyone is crammed into pre-planned Soviet era apartment blocks. I'm in one of those. My host mother is actually a very nice Russian widow (called бабушка, which is literally grandmother). Her name is Galina, shes about 70 years old, and was born several years before the siege. She feeds me a lot, tells me what a good boy I am, and reminds me to always wear my coat and carry my documents with me at all times. Doesnt speak a word of English. This serves to be an issue because my Russian isnt all that great. Luckily there has been only a few times we have misunderstood each other. She also has a grandson named Leonit, who is 20 years old and studies at SPBGU as well. He's a big fan of FC Zenit, the local football side, and I'll probably go to a match with him sometime this fall.

The apartment is small and cozy. To get up to my apartment, I first need to get into my pozyezd (entry way) and to do that, I use a magnetic key called a domofon. It is tuned to a specific frequency and lets me into the lobby, where i take the lift up (I live on the 6th floor). I then have to go through a doorway to the hallway (key #2), then go through a heavy security door to the apartment entranceway (key #3), and then finally through a door to go into my apartment (key #4). The entire process takes about 10 minutes, and is really hard to do when there are no lights on (kids steal the light bulbs and sell them for alcohol). I'll post pictures of it later.

Other than that, today was my first day of classes. From now on, we are only allowed to talk in Russian, and all of our classes are conducted in Russian as well. It will be hard, but I think it will be for the best. I'm taking 19th century literature, Russian civilization, a conversation class, a pronunciation class, and a grammar class. SO I usually wake up around 7, leave for the university around 7:45, ride into town, get to the university around 8:30-8:45ish. Then non-stop classes until 3ish. Good times. I'm happy I am taking this pass fail.

In the next entry:
enjoying the Metro at rush hour, the popularity of mullets in Russia, and alcohol etiquitte.

Until then,

Alex

No comments: